Monday, October 20, 2008

The second incident...


The second incident which I would want to mention happened when I was on a trip to Pattya.

I was taking a walk down the famous Walking Street. For a while I was disgusted at the site of girls standing along the whole strech, waiting to get picked. I just looked at them and wondered why do they have to do it, can't they find themselves a better way of earning money.

I tried to walk a little away from them, as if to say it with my action - 'LOOK!!. Don't you think I am interested....

A little over 5 minutes I saw this lady standing on the strech, nothing unusual when I first saw her....just like the many ...waiting to be picked...

But then I saw the little difference...just next to her on a bench was kid playing..playing while she fed him..

Somehow it struck me...that where I stand is completly different from the place I come to. i was in a different country, a different cultureTo me what may seem like disgusting may not be something the same for them. It's a job for them...my sentiments or what I feel (whether right or wrong) maybe I don't agree to it but its legal in that area and so...nothing wrong...

They are not at fault, its me who has to understand that I had not adapted and realised this fact, the fact that this is nothing but another mode of earning money. Just a way to make sure that her child gets all her meals at the right time.

Nothing Wrong!!!

2 comments:

Mauni Alima said...

Always wondered why all this happens to a women, the same who gives birth, goes thru all ways of life, d hard ones, being the most honored still she is d only culprit around!!!!

Unanswered till d end....

Anonymous said...

Some good retrospective thoughts there.Don’t forget you are talking about one of the oldest professions known to mankind. Indeed, a “shameful” way of sustenance; yet only for a bigger cause than self. I’d like to note that culture hardly plays that big of a role here- self- castigation of such sort would never be applauded in any culture. There’s a deeper underlying problem of ignorance that needs to be addressed…
Unembellished writing about a pressing issue. Well conveyed!